Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Jang Geum's Dream Commentary: Season 1, Episode 2

6/22/16


Season 1, Episode 2: A Court Lady Selection Test


Watch the episode here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfY0_8AzlaI


          
       
The whole wheelbarrow scene made my face hurt from laughing so much, and I just can't stop talking about how Dongi is such a nice brother. Remember my "food for thought" about that from near the end of the last commentary? Yeah. 

Also, I was wondering how the doctor treating the king knew what time it was so quickly and without even looking up. I googled Korean clocks, and I only got info about those water-clocks, sundials, etc. I didn't see any time-telling devices in the doctor's room, so I'll just assume he saw what time it was a little while ago, when he looked at a clock of some kind before the kids came. Then when Jang Geum asked the time, the doctor just estimated. 

I saw Yeungro say she was going to make turtle soup. Why?? It probably tastes better than it sounds, but it would probably be rather impractical and complicated because the turtle was alive. And why would she cook something so cute?? She's going to be a problem in the future, I know it. At least karma caught up with her. Too bad the turtle had to be raised in secret, it seems that an animal so small and low maintenance would be an exception. Especially because a new pet will be coming to the palace soon, and it's HUGE. Tell me your guess for what the new royal pet is in the comments! I was really impressed with Yeonsaeng's skills with the knife. Or maybe she was just threatening Yeungro. Either way. As for Lady Eun, the court lady with the black hair and eyebrow game on fleek, I'll call her Court Teacher. It's just easy for me to keep track of everyone that way. By the way, I think I like that chubby girl already. What, haven't you eaten food while you were cooking? Maybe you just don't remember. I was still surprised that Janggeum wasn't disappointed that there was only rice left. And I've watched the whole series more than once. She has an indomitable spirit that my brain can't ever seem to grasp sometimes. 

          All the previous times I watched this episode, and I thought "Okay, she's putting a rock on the pot and sealing it with that sticky flour. Not sure what that does, but somehow it speeds up the cooking." But last Christmas, my mom got a pressure cooker, and then everything clicked. With the awesome technology we nowadays, we just seal the lid with a rubber gasket and close the steam vent. But with the new knowledge I gained, I figured out that the flour goo was the gasket, and Janggeum put a rock on top to put literal pressure on the pot. I then realized that she was a genius! Well, what am I saying, she always was. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  But Murphy's Law just had to kick in. The rock falls off and the pot blows up. But, a new character is announced: Officer Suro Jang(SOO-ro JONG). If a respected man laughed at what a mess I was after an explosion that wasn't really my fault, I would be SO embarrassed. I'd want to crawl into the pot and hide. But all poor Jang Geum could do was stand there and wait for him to leave.

          Now we're looking at everyone's dishes, and the Geumyeong the is up first. Her dish seems like something that the one extra fancy mom who has all the time in the world brings to a potluck.

            Geumyeong herself seems to be the soft-spoken, hard-working type. Changi, who ate all the meat patties except for one, had a point. Food is meant to look good, especially in East Asia where this is taken very seriously. Looking at it once and tasting it once is both a decent excuse and some good advice. I think both she and Geumyeong could get a degree in ornamental or culinary arrangements. Then we see "Yeungro's" dish. All I can say for her is that I already hate seeing her smirk, and somebody needs to find out that she cheated to get her lying self in the palace at all. Then again, she still is important in the story. Then Yeonsaeng presents hers, and the court ladies don't look too impressed. Yeonsaeng is a bit of a crybaby, but I think it just adds to her charm. As if she wasn't already cute enough! What I wasn't prepared for though, was what Yeongsaeng actually said when the subtitles told English speakers that Yeongsaeng said "I'm sorry!" to the court ladies. A friend of mine who is fluent in Korean explained that Yeongsaeng actually said "kill me!" So now the fact that the court ladies were amused really creeps me out. 

        When Janggeum's name wasn't called at first, I had a feeling that they would say at the last minute, "Lol jk, we have one more person who passed. Congratulations Janggeum, you made it after all!" My cliche detector never fails! Speaking of which, my romance senses were tingling when Suro was looking at Janggeum. Turns out I was right again! XD I also thought that doing the whole test Iron Chef style was really cool.

Before I go, I wanna thank you guys again for reading my commentaries and let you know about something else. You can get the soundtrack now on iTunes or download it on Apple Music! 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/janggeums-dream-original-soundtrack/id336584603
If you have some kind of Mac you can download it right now from the link, I believe. But if you don't have an Apple computer but do have an iPhone, you can search "JangGeum's Dream" on the iTunes store or Apple Music. That's all for now! Have a great day~
         
     


No comments:

Post a Comment